The countries of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) are spread across all continents:
- 38 countries are in Sub-Saharan Africa
- 34 BRI countries are in Europe & Central Asia (including 18 countries of the European Union (EU) that are part of the BRI)
- 25 BRI countries are in East Asia & pacific
- 17 BRI countries in Middle East & North Africa
- 18 BRI countries are in Latin America & Caribbean
- 6 countries are in South East Asia
*For some countries that are listed as having signed an MoU for the BRI, the availability of independent information is contradictory. For example, the seven countries of Austria, Benin, Comoros, Congo D.R., Dominica, Niger and Russian Federation have not published a confirmation of signing a full MoU or even denied it. These countries are listed as “null” in the following map of belt and road countries.
The trade and investment relationship of each BRI country with China is highly specific. More information about each BRI country can be found in the “BRI countries” briefs provided on this website, or on request.
Table of countries of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI)
The following table provides an overview of the countries of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The field income group is according to the World Bank categorization. The * denotes that we could not find independent information about the signature of a Memorandum of Understanding to become an official “country of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).